Saturday, February 25, 2012

Getting Around

I remember when I was a kid and going anywhere remotely far from home on my own or with friends was one of the most thrilling things in my life. Even walking to the gas station or the park was a thrilling independence that I seldom experience anymore. But why don't I feel that anymore? I have more independence now than I ever had as a kid. Almost everyday I get in my car and go miles from home and think nothing of it. What happened to that thrill of adventure? I think I have somehow become desensitized.

At first it was exciting just going around the block. Then it was more exciting when my parents allowed me to ride my bike to the park. Then I got my driver's licence and the thought of driving anywhere I wanted practically made me swoon, even though I was terrified of driving for a good amount of time. But then I started having to go places that I didn't always want to go - the store, work, school, appointments. Gradually, getting around became a necessity rather than a joy.

We've all heard the saying, "Getting there is half the fun." Well I have lost a lot of that fun, and I would like to get it back. I think I could start by appreciating having a car and the ability to drive. I also should appreciate the fact that I can move around at all. There are so many people who disabled, and moving is difficult if not impossible for them. Once I get moving, I think taking time to notice the beauty in the world and not rushing will also help me to find more joy in the journey. Finally, going to new and different places will surely keep things exciting.

I am so thankful I have been able go so many amazing places in my life. I can only hope I will be able to go to many more and enjoy the journey every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment