Monday, March 5, 2012

The Next Generation

I grew up during the time when the Harry Potter books were just coming out. I resisted reading them at first because, as Mike will tell you, I am not a big fan of fantasy. But the moment I finished the first book, I was hooked. I don't know what it was about those books. They just made me forget about my problems when I read them and they drew me in and left me breathless to find out what would happen next. Then came the movies and I was so excited to see the story come to life.

Every generation seems to have that one story or show that so many people resonate with. These stories usually showcase the best in human traits - strength, courage, love, determination, knowledge. They seem to uplift people and give them more hope and optimism in their own lives. Before Harry Potter it was Star Wars, Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings.

Most recently the story that resonates with most people is Twilight. This doesn't sit well with me because I read the first book and, although it was interesting, it didn't grip me. I couldn't find the values and inspiration that where in previous stories. Love was the only one I could find, and even that was tainted with jealousy and anger.

I think society's love for Twilight speaks to an overall deterioration of intellect and strong values. People would rather give into their desires without earning anything through hard work.

I admit I have not read any Twilight books beyond the first one and I refuse to see the movies. So I'm sure there are those who will argue that the values are there if I just look a little deeper. Maybe they are there, but I still can't shake this feeling that there has been a shift in society. It's not just Twilight. This degeneration seems to be everywhere.

I don't mean to be cynical. I always try to see the best in human nature, and I know there are many good people out there. I only hope the good will outweigh the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment