Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Social Addiction

I have been thinking about Facebook and how much it has become a part of most people's lives. I can hardly go to any business now without seeing some sort of sign that says, "Follow us on Facebook!" I remember when MySpace first came out and I liked it so much that when I heard about Facebook I vowed never to make a page there. Well we all see how that worked out. The sad thing is, I still like MySpace better. I only went to Facebook because that's where all the people went. It's no fun being alone on MySpace.

Whatever social networking site you use, I think it has all gotten a little out of control. When I first started I went to meet people or connect with people I already knew and see a few pictures or hear comments on current issues. But now, Facebook is more like a huge jumble of advertisements, game requests, meaningless posts, and countless pictures. When I first joined it was more like an exclusive club with a few members. Now it is overcrowded, and that means it has all the trash, and noise, and abuse that comes with overcrowding. I can tolerate crowds once in a while, but as a general rule I don't like them.

If you know me at all, you are probably thinking to yourself at this point that I am a huge hypocrite. I am. I don't deny it. I am addicted to Facebook like a drug addict is addicted to drugs. But like most drug addicts, I don't want to be addicted. I have this part of my brain that wants to know every tiny detail about every little thing, no matter how pointless it may be. I know it is impossible to keep up with everything on Facebook, but my poor brain wants to try anyway.

So I am going to take baby steps to overcome my addiction. Maybe I can not log on so often. Maybe I can go a whole day without looking. Maybe a week. Maybe......

No comments:

Post a Comment