Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Little Bit County, A Little Bit Rock-And-Roll

It certainly does not feel like January around here. With highs around 50 degrees and no snow, it feels more like Spring already. While I can't say I miss the cold weather, it is a tiny bit disconcerting that the weather is changing so much. But I won't let it worry me too much because there isn't much I will be able to do if the world is ending anyway.

I have mentioned before in this blog how I am interested in all kinds of different lifestyles. Even though I am interested in all of them, some appeal more to me than others. Country would be one that appeals to me. Maybe it comes from growing up mainly in the west, but I like the idea of the country lifestyle. When I was a little kid I wanted to run a farm when I grew up, or at least have all kinds of farm animals. I don't think I knew how much work actually goes into running a farm. Now, you could say I still have that dream, but on a much smaller scale. Maybe I could work part-time on a farm or have a horse, or a cow, or a goat, or a garden. The garden is probably the most likely out of those, but don't kill my dreams!

Another thing I like about country is the interior design. I like warm, cozy, homey, comfortable spaces, and country design seems to embody a lot of that. I'm not the sort of person to go all-out country in my decorating, but a few touches of country here and there would be great.

I also like the values that are usually adopted with the country lifestyle. So called "country people" seem to have a strong love for family, freedom, honor, and God, and a respect and love for the environment. Those are all things I feel are important as well.

Country cooking is also something I definitely love. I have always been a meat-and-potatoes kind of girl. (More potatoes than meat, to tell the truth.) I love fresh veggies, beef stew, steaks, chicken, pot roast, pies, homemade bread, and just about any other kind of county food you can think of. I love food in general, but if I had to choose a favorite style of cooking, I think country would be it. (Although Italian would come in a close second. I couldn't live without pizza.)

The only thing I can't quite embrace when it comes to country is the clothing. I don't mind people who like wearing cowboy hats and boots, Wrangler jeans, and plaid shirts, but I just can't get into dressing that way. But who knows? Maybe it could grow on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment