Monday, January 9, 2012

Mean Girls

On more than one occasion in my life I have had a girl who I considered a good friend, suddenly turn into my mortal enemy for reasons totally unknown to me. I don't consciously do anything to make these girls turn on me, which makes it all the more hurtful when they turn on me. Of course no one HAS to be my friend. But why is it that girls can't just leave you alone when they don't like you anymore? They always seek out ways to injure you psychologically. This is always so confusing and painful because I have the best intentions, yet I get punished for it. So WHY ARE GIRLS SO MEAN?

I know not all girls are like that, because I wouldn't do anything like that. So they are capable of not being mean. But meanness in girls seems to have become a social behavior that is accepted in our country. It's not only accepted, but it's expected that girls will be psychologically damaging to each other. What happened to teaching children kindness, love, and tolerance for everyone?

If you think this is only a problem in school-age kids, you would be wrong. I once believed that girls grew out of this when they got older. But now I know that the problem only gets worse as they get older. That's because they get smarter and figure out more sophisticated ways of hurting other people. What is it all for? Social status? Dominance? Pure hate? Whatever it is, it needs to stop. But how can we stop something that has become so out of control? With little steps. Teach your children the meaning of being kind and doing the right thing. Also lead by example. Be what you wish others to be. With your own small actions, you may just change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment