Saturday, February 13, 2010

Joy Incarnate


Yesterday I had the privilege of babysitting my 7-month-old niece, Esme, while my brother and his wife went out for a date night. I say privilege because Ezzie is probably the most happy baby I have ever encountered. Her grin is so huge that you can't possibly be unhappy while looking at her. You find yourself walking around with a perma-grin for hours after seeing her. Sometimes she will just look at you and scream. Not the blood-curdling type of scream, but the kind of scream where it seems like she is so happy she couldn't hold it all in anymore and had to let it out in a joyous shout. Even when she cries it is not like she is crying for herself. It is more like she is crying for the injustices of the world and it makes you want to say,"There there Ezzie. I will end world hunger. Just don't be sad." The only problem with the whole experience was the sudden jealousy that appeared in the other baby...Bear. Let's face it, Bear is spoiled and clearly believes herself to be our baby. So when my husband and I started talking baby talk to some else, she was somewhat confused, and then determined to regain her former glory. She nuzzled and licked constantly as if to say,"Look! I am still here and I am cuter than her!" In the end she seemed resigned to the fact that she is not the only cute creature in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment