Saturday, February 20, 2010

Handy Girl

The place where I work has started remodeling and subsequently getting rid of a lot of things. One thing they were throwing out was a floor-length mirror, and being the frugal person that I am I asked if I could have it. What I didn't realize at the time was that this mirror was THE HEAVIEST MIRROR EVER CREATED. I became a body builder while moving it out to my car. Then, as I was sliding it into the back seat, a metal piece on the back of it snagged the seat and ripped it ever so slightly. Horror of horrors! For most people this would be no big deal, and it would be forgotten before they even got into the driver's seat. I am not most people. All I could think about was how that snag would eventually grow until it looked like I keep rabid badgers in the back seat. So upon reaching my house, I whipped out a needle and thread and sewed up the tiny slit. I am not even kidding, because aside from being anal, I am also handy. I know I got the handiness from my dad because HIS DRYER IS OLDER THAN ME. As much as I resisted becoming this way, in the end I was weak and succumbed. I have a irresistible urge to make everything last, which is not necessarily a bad thing (unless we are talking underwear). I really do want to be good to the earth and not be as wasteful as most people, but I also don't want to be the "crazy lady who never throws anything away".

As for being anal, that seems to be a trait created by me since my brothers are the complete opposite. However, I truly believe I was worse when I was a kid. I mean, how many fourth graders do you know who have to have their room clean before bedtime or they will stay up as late as it takes to clean it? Not only that, but everything in the room has a certain place and has to be just right. Drawing a blank? Well I was that child, and as OCD as my husband thinks I am now, I was SUPER OCD back then. I don't really know what changed between now and then except that I got plain tired of doing it. OCD people have amazing energy, so this is the only time I am thankful for not being a high-energy person. Thank God for laziness!

No comments:

Post a Comment