Saturday, September 19, 2015

Simple Life

A little while back, when I was at work, I had a woman ask me where the restroom was. I pointed her in the general direction and then went back to what I was doing. A few seconds later she came back to me claiming she still could not find the restroom even though I know she had come within 15 feet of it. At that moment, I could have screamed in frustration. Since when have people become so un-observant and unwilling or incapable of solving a simple problem? It feels like the majority of people these days are living their lives on autopilot, expecting other people or some imaginary force to gently guide them in the right direction.

Drivers don't notice when someone is trying to use the crosswalk. People ask someone else to figure out a simple math problem for them. They cut corners only to sacrifice quality. They ask others to make decisions for them. They miss obvious information.

We all have those days when we are just too tired or overwhelmed to function at our best. On those days we may need a little extra guidance and help. But what I have been observing is a far more serious problem. It's like an epidemic of not caring and ineptitude. It seems we are becoming dumber to point where we don't even realize we are like lambs being lead to the slaughter. We follow the easy path to our doom.

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom about the human race, but sometimes I have some serious questions about our drive and our purpose. Are we living to our full capabilities, or are we merely existing? I would challenge everyone to open their eyes a little wider once in a while. Look a little harder. Do a little more. Think a little harder. Do more than you think you can. Because if you are relying on others to guide you, you may just end up somewhere you don't want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment