Thursday, May 17, 2018

Uninspired

I like to think of myself as a somewhat creative person. As a child I always gravitated towards art, writing, and music way more than things like science, math, and technology. I am far from as talented as those who create art for a living, but I also think I have a certain knack for seeing things that others don't and creating some sort of art out of what I see. Well lately I just can't seem to find that creative spark. I want to draw something badly, but every time I try to think of something I draw, I have few ideas and I reject every one of them.

I've heard of this creative block happening to other people before, and I'm not sure how they get out of it. Should I just start drawing something even though my heart is not into it? Is creating art a skill that needs to be practiced, or is it simply talent and inspiration? I must admit that part of my hesitation to draw is that I don't feel like I am good enough. I know I am better than some, however I feel I pale in comparison to some of the artists I see on the internet. I know art is not really meant to be compared. It is your own expression and is thus meant to be something only you can create. But let's admit it, everyone judges artwork and if they feel you are not good enough, they will usually let it be known.

I am somewhat of the opinion that art does need to be practiced to improve certain techniques and abilities. It's just so hard to practice something that also requires a certain amount of dedication and emotion to create. If you don't feel the emotion, you don't want to practice, and you find yourself in a never-ending spiral of not doing anything. I hope I can find my inspiration again soon, because once I have a little baby to take care of, I know I will have even less time and energy to devote to art. I certainly don't want to think that my drive to create has ended forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment