Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stay Calm And Carry On

I feel bad for going so long in between blog posts, but I recently discovered the criticism that some professional bloggers endure. So I probably wouldn't want to blog professionally, even if I could make a living from it. On the other hand, there are a lot of blogs that I read that are so unprofessional, it's embarrassing. Most of these blogs are written by people I went to school with, so that makes me wonder if the school system was that bad, or if I just studied and learned more than most of those people. Either way, it makes me embarrassed that these peers of mine misspell simple words and can't use grammar or sentence structure to save their lives. Don't they at least have spell check?! I say, if you are going to put something on the internet for all to see, at least try to sound a little intelligent. I guess the trend now is dumping all your garbage on the internet for other people to slog through. I wonder if there is more useful information than crap left on the internet. More and more, people would rather be entertained than learn something. That's neither here nor there.

My original topic for this post was the saying, "Stay calm and carry on." I know it's a British saying, but I might just adopt it because I like it quite a bit. I don't think this saying is about being unemotional, as some people have said. To me it means pressing forward with dignity and grace when things are hard, rather than falling to pieces or lashing out at others at the slightest difficulty. While I see nothing wrong with being able to express your emotions freely, I think there are many people out there who could learn a little more self-control. Is it always best to immediately say something nasty back to someone who has said something nasty to you? When your car breaks down, is is good to let out a long string of curses or burst into tears? When you find out you have a chronic disease, should you wallow in self-pity and give up on life? I think the answer to all those questions is 'no'. When difficulties arise, stay clam and carry on, and you might find your problems are a little easier to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment