Monday, December 12, 2011

Giving

It's the Christmas season and this time of year everyone talks about giving to those less fortunate than yourself. I'm all for giving to those in need, because I know that I could easily be in their shoes. But there are a few things that bother me about giving.

For one thing, need is relative. A child may need some new clothes or want some new toys, but what about other children who are starving? We may not be obligated to give to the most needy first, but is it right to ignore the worst-off people?

Now say I disregard the most needy and decided for whatever reason to give by getting a toy for a poor child for Christmas. What if that child doesn't like the toy I get him? Isn't that a waste of my money and generosity? What if I give that child a used toy? That seems to be frowned upon, yet I'm sure there are children who would appreciate any toy they could get their hands on. If a child doesn't want a used toy, doesn't that mean we are spoiled rather than truly needy?

The last problem I have with giving is that I am not a rich person. I know that doesn't mean I can't give, but it does mean that any amount I give will be minuscule compared to what a rich person or corporation could give. I know it shouldn't matter how much you can give. But it kind of makes you feel like it's pointless if all you can give is $5 and a corporation has millions to give.

In the end, I guess it really is the thought that counts. I can't help every starving person, and I can't spend forever analyzing who is the most needy. But I can give a little here and there, and I think I will be a better person for it. There is a scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where Charlie gives back the gobstopper candy that could have made his family rich and Willy Wonka says, "So shines a good deed in a weary world." This quote reminds me of the true spirit of giving because in a world full of bad things, I can still try to make a difference with small and simple deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment