Monday, May 27, 2013

Heading In The Right Direction

In my last post I wrote about the book I was reading and since then I have been thinking a lot about a line from that book that really gave me some insight. It goes something like this - "There is no point in running if you don't know what direction to run." As you may know by now, I have quite a few fears and anxieties. But lately, when I start to get scared I think of that sentence. I think to myself, "Is this something I can run from, and if so, do I know which way to run?" This thought process almost always calms me down because it allows me to accept what is, rather than plotting all the possible escape routes. I am better able to stand up to my fears rather than constantly running and hiding and getting nowhere.

This coping mechanism doesn't always work. For example, when you think you know which way to run, but it turns out to be the completely wrong way, or when the fear is too big for you to fight and you crumple under the pressure. But for the most part, it has been a handy tool for making me feel better. God knows I need it with all the scary things out there. Maybe you need it too, which is why I am sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment