Thursday, March 14, 2013

Tackling the Jungle

Spring is on its way yet again, and while I am super excited for the nice weather, I am not so excited about what the melting snow is uncovering in my yard. It's not that I have a horrible yard. I have seen much worse. It's just that when I look at my yard I feel like a tiny ant in a huge forest. It needs work. Lots of it.

If I had oodles of time or money, maybe I would have some idea of were to start. I could hire some people to get it to a manageable state, and then keep it up myself from there. But as it stands, I don't have money for that, and my own efforts amount to little more than picking up sticks or cutting off a small branch here and there. That's not going to cut it. I have whole trees that need to go. WHOLE TREES!

Trees seem so insignificant when they are small. You feel like a giant who can crush them at a whim. However, when they get bigger, how the tables turn. Tree can now not only crush you, but your house and car as well. You must bow to their every command, because getting rid of just one branch takes a truckload of heavy machinery. Tree wants to grow roots into your pipes and mess them all up? Tree does that. Tree desires to drop a truckload of leaves in your yard? No stopping tree. Tree wants to take over the entire yard? Tree is now king of the yard.

Trees aside, the lawn is more weeds than lawn. The ground it mostly hard as a rock. There is no secondary water. The pear trees drop hundred of nice squishy pears on the ground. One tree is infested with some sort of bugs. There are piles of debris left from the old owners. And to top it all off, I think we have gophers. I take it back. I do have a horrible yard.

On my days off from work, it is hard to get the motivation to tackle any part of the yard, because it all seems so hopeless. But perhaps if I take it one tiny step at a time, progress will be made. Lets just hope I can chop faster than the plants can grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment