Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Argument

I have never been the sort of person who likes to argue a point. Even if it's something I believe strongly, I usually keep it to myself because I have found that most people don't want to change their minds about what they believe. They only want to make you believe what they believe. I find it pointless to try to make others believe as I do, so why would I argue the point?

Just because I don't like to argue, doesn't mean I don't like to put my opinions out there. Obviously I put my opinions out there all the time on this blog. But once my opinion is out there and someone rejects it, I'm not going to push it further. Honestly, I don't care much if others agree with me. They can believe what they want as long as they don't try to push it on me.

I know there are people out there who love to argue because they are just so passionate about what they believe. I'm sure that to them I am simply a coward for not standing up for what I believe. In response to that I would say, first of all, that if someone's rights are being violated or they are being severely mistreated, I do try to stand up for them if I think I can make a difference. I don't just lay down and accept everything that is unjust in the world. But when it comes to things like politics, or religion, or personal beliefs, you bet I'm not going to try to change anyone's mind. Most people don't want to open their minds to a different way of thinking, and I'm not a master of persuasion to make them do it. I will leave that job to the people who love the art of persuasion. But even if you love a good argument, learn to know when enough is enough, and when an argument is futile. I think it is the mark a foolish person who always argues, but never changes his own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment