Monday, November 14, 2011

I Can Do Anything You Can Do

I hate when people assume I can't do something because I am a woman, or they think I'm not strong enough or smart enough. These stereotypes aren't as prevalent as they used to be, but they still exist, and I see them from time to time. I see it when people think I can't lift something heavy, or I can't fix something, or I know nothing about cars. Granted, I am not an expert at any of those things, but I can do a lot more than what you might think, and if you tell me I can't do something, it only makes me want to try harder to do it to prove you wrong. I don't like stereotypes, and I don't want anyone to feel like they have to live their life by them. Heck, I would probably be a contractor if I thought I had the energy it takes to do a job like that. Everyone thinks of that as a "male" job, but stereotypes wouldn't keep me away if I decided that was what I wanted to do. I like to surprise people with what I know and what I am capable of, and I think if more people stay determined, they might even surprise themselves at what they can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment