Saturday, November 11, 2017

Getting Far

When I am driving I will often see people who, for whatever reason, are walking down the street. Seeing this usually makes me think how lucky I am to have a working car. I think most people who have a car take it for granted that they can just hop in the car and be somewhere in a matter of minutes. If not for that privilege, walking takes huge amounts of time and energy. I try to always be grateful for what I have, but sometimes the ability to drive anywhere is something I take for granted.

Of course it is not always easy maintaining a car. I break out in a sweat just thinking about how much car repairs can cost. Gas isn't always cheap either. But compared to walking, the benefits of driving far outweigh the negatives. If I had to walk everywhere that I drive, I would spend almost all my time doing nothing but walking. I would be in great shape, but my free time would be gone. Also, the weather would be a much bigger issue. Dressing in the winter would be a matter of life and death if I had to walk everywhere. The rain would mean misery rather than annoyance.

I don't think this post has much of a point, other than to be grateful for what you have. It is so easy to feel inconvenienced when you have to drive somewhere, rather than privileged that it will only take a few comfortable minutes. If you don't believe it, just try walking everywhere for a day. You won't get too far physically, but mentally you will take leaps and bounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment