Friday, April 28, 2017

What Will Happen Will Happen

I read something on the internet once that said, "Trying to clean the house when the kids are home is like trying to brush your teeth while eating an Oreo." I don't have any kids, but I feel like this is a good metaphor for my life in general. It seems like whenever I am trying to get something done, there are always larger forces at play that basically void whatever I am trying to do.

It's hard for me to explain what I am talking about, but I'll try. It's like when you are trying to eat healthy, only to discover that the vegetables you are eating have been sprayed with toxic pesticides. It's like always washing your hands to stay clean, only to discover you are using contaminated water. It's like trying to recycle to save the planet only to find out that the planet can't be saved by recycling. It's like trying to be a good person only to realize being a good person doesn't guarantee you a better life.

You see what I mean? I want to do the right thing and live a good life, but many times it is so discouraging knowing that everything you do could be for nothing, or everything you do could be the wrong thing. Most of the time you never know if you are doing the best thing. You just have to take a stab at it and hope your life turns out the way you want.

I sometimes get down about all the unknown forces that may destroy my life even as I try desperately to avoid them. But I think at that point, I just need to stop worrying about things I can't control. We all do the best that we can, and if our best is not good enough there is nothing else we can do but relax and let what will happen, happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment