Saturday, November 19, 2016

Imitation

Wow. I just noticed my blog got 139 views yesterday. I don't know if people are actually reading it or just stumbled upon it by accident. Even though I know all my writing is out there for anyone to see, it's a little daunting to actually imagine that many people reading my little thoughts. All I can say is thanks for reading, and remember, be kind with me because I am not a professional by any means, and I may get things wrong more often than not. Also, just be kind to everyone, because everyone could use a little help and encouragement in this hard life.

The topic I was planning on writing about today is imitation. Not purposeful imitation like a little kid copying your every word or movement. No, this type of imitation is more gradual over time, and usually takes place without the imitator even knowing they are doing it. What I am talking about is when two people spend a lot of time together and, over time, one person starts to take on the characteristics of the other person. For example, if one person has a certain kind of walk, and the other person starts to walk the same way. Or, if one person uses a certain saying or word phrase often, and another person close to them starts to use the same wording.

I don't know if other people notice this much, but I see it all the time in people I am around frequently. They say imitation is the best form of flattery, but I have to say that in my eyes it is a bit annoying. Even when people don't know they are doing it, or ESPECIALLY when people don't know they are doing it. It just seems like people don't take the time to find out why they are using a specific term or phrase. They just jump on the bandwagon because people around them are saying something that way. I am more interested in people who are more original and who can think for themselves.

In the grand scheme of things, imitation is only a tiny annoyance, and I should really try to not be bothered by it. Heck, I've probably even done it a few times. However, if you catch yourself imitating someone, at least take a moment to stop and think about why you are doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment