Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mo' Money Mo' Problems

I've been noticing how some people are very focused on getting more money. They are usually so focused that they will work way more than 40 hours a week to get that extra money. I think that's fine if you are really dedicated to your job or you are extremely poor and have to work that much to make ends meet. But I think there is a point at which more time spent with those you love or doing the things you love outweighs working overtime for a little extra cash.

I've had jobs where I was required to work overtime, and I will say there were many times I wanted to quit because I didn't need the extra money as much as I needed time with my family and friends.

I feel like people who already have a lot of money who work long hours, are missing the point of life. The goal in life should not be how much money you have and how many things you bought. It should be about your relationships and time spent doing things that make you happy.

Many people think buying things will make them happy, and I agree to a certain extent. If you want to work overtime so you can buy that one thing you have really been wanting, then go ahead. But if you make a habit of it, you run into a vicious cycle of always wanting more and needing more money to maintain what you already have. I would argue that you can be just as happy with your life with buying less things.

I know my words won't mean much to those who are already working themselves to death to maintain a lifestyle. But maybe I can make them think a little more about what they truly "need" and what is important in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment