Friday, July 20, 2012

Yeeeehaw!

Yesterday, Mike and I went to our first ever rodeo! I don't know if that sentence warrants an exclamation mark, but I feel that it should for people who love the rodeo. Since I was trying to blend in, I thought I should get excited about it.

We went to the Ogden Pioneer Days Rodeo, and the reason we decided to go is because it takes place only a couple of blocks from our new house. We wanted to see what all the hype is about, because around here people seem to love the the rodeo as much as air conditioning on a hot day.

When we got there, I have to admit it seemed promising in the excitement department. There was music playing, and a very energetic, cowboy-sounding announcer. There were plenty of concessions, horses, and people walking about in cowboy gear. Let me stop right there and say I DID NOT DRESS LIKE A COWGIRL. I wanted to blend in, but those outfits have never appealed to me. Thankfully for us, there were plenty of other people not wearing their rodeo getup.

When the rodeo began, I was loving it because there were lots of horses, and I am practically in love with horses. I like to watch them, but after a while, I start to wish I had my own horse, or that I could at least go horseback riding. This jealousy was part of what spoiled the rodeo for me.

The other part that made the rodeo not-so-appealing was that it seemed to be like a long advertisement for various businesses, beer, and patriotism. This advertisement was only periodically interspersed with horse riding, cattle wrangling, and a very un-funny rodeo clown. I have nothing against advertising and patriotism, but when I go to a rodeo I want to see a rodeo. I don't want to spend half the time standing with my hand over my heart for America or listening to incoherent babble from the rodeo clown.

Mike and I ended up leaving about halfway through. I didn't hate the rodeo, but I probably won't go back either. Next time I have a horse craving, I will find a place where I can ride a horse myself. The rodeo is just not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment